Tips for veggie haters
- Stock up on frozen, canned and jarred vegetables for quick and easy cooking in the microwave.
- Buy vegetables that are easy to prepare: Shred carrots or zucchini into meatloaf, casseroles, and muffins.
- Add veggies to dishes you love.
- Use a microwave to quickly “zap” vegetables.
- Try them in your favorite soups.
- Vary your veggie choices to keep meals interesting: Include a green salad with your dinner every night.
- Add them to your pastas and pizzas: Add toppings like mushrooms, green peppers, onions, and extra veggies to your pizza.
- Drink your Vegetables: Enjoy veggie-juice cocktails & smoothies! They’re meant to come together, making beautiful great tasting juices. For more fun pour the juices into ice-pop trays and freeze your own Popsicles.
- Grill them: Grill vegetable kabobs as part of a barbecue meal. Try tomatoes, mushrooms, green peppers, and onions.
- Try crunchy vegetables, raw or lightly steamed: Try a main dish salad for lunch. Go light on the salad dressing.
- Make it a meal: Plan some meals around a vegetable main dish, such as a vegetable stir-fry or soup. Then add other foods to complement it.
Veggie Tips for kids:
- Set a good example for children by eating vegetables with meals and as snacks.
- Sneak veggies in purees.
- Let children decide on the dinner vegetables or what goes into salads.
- Allow children to pick a new vegetable to try while shopping.
- Use cut-up vegetables as part of afternoon snacks.
- Children often prefer foods served separately. So, rather than mixed vegetables try serving two vegetables separately.